We have commissioned ICF Consulting Ltd and Arad Research to evaluate the implementation of FPNs.
Purpose of the evaluation
The aim of the evaluation is to provide us with detailed information on the approaches in place for issuing FPNs within all local authorities.
The evaluation will cover:
- the different approaches used by LAs to determine their codes of conduct on when to issue FPNs;
- the reasons why and circumstances in which FPN are issued;
- how school staff use and interpret the codes of conduct when making decisions on whether or not to issue FPNs;
- the role consortia (RECs) and schools played in drafting the codes, and;
- consideration whether a national code of conduct is required with views on whether this would be appropriate.
How you may become involved in the study
The evaluation will be using a variety of methods to seek the views of those involved in improving school attendance. You may be contacted by ICF or Arad staff about the study and asked to take part. The research methods include:
- telephone interviews with staff leading on attendance in each LA;
- telephone interviews with Consortia attendance leads and other stakeholder representatives;
- an e-survey of headteachers, deputies and school governors with FPN responsibility in schools, the Educational Welfare Service and senior LA and REC staff;
- case study visits to six areas speaking to a range of school, EWS, LA practitioner and strategic staff in a focus group discussion;
- data analysis of school and LA data on attendance and FPNs, and;
- a literature review of recent evidence on effective attendance strategies.
Please note that participation is voluntary and any views you give will be completely confidential and anonymous.
The evaluation will lead to a report being produced which will be published on the Welsh Government research website in September 2017. For further information please contact David Roberts by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0300 062 5485, or Steph Charalambous email@example.com at ICF.