The LNF sets the skills we expect learners to develop. Within literacy we expect learners to become accomplished in:
- oracy across the curriculum
- reading across the curriculum
- writing across the curriculum.
Within numeracy we expect learners to become accomplished in:
- developing numerical reasoning
- using number skills
- using measuring skills
- using data skills.
Teachers will be able to use the LNF to:
- develop curriculum content to ensure that all learners have opportunities to develop and refine the skills set out in the LNF
- integrate literacy and numeracy into their teaching – whatever the subject matter
- inform discussions with parents/carers, learners and other teachers about learner performance
- help learners with their own self-assessment activities and planning for learning
- monitor, assess and report on individual learner performance
- identify learners who may benefit from intervention or who are working beyond age-related expectations.