Maintained nurseries, primary, secondary and special schools and pupil referral units (PRUs) can choose to hold salbutamol inhalers for use in emergencies, without a prescription, from 1 October 2014.
This page contains guidance to assist schools in writing the policy document needed around the use of the inhaler, including:
- consent from parents/carers
- maintaining an up to date register of children and young people who have asthma
- considerations for learners with asthma
- responding to asthma symptoms
- storage, care and disposal of the emergency inhaler
- suggested information for schools to share with parents/carers.