This topic explored the role of teacher leadership in delivering effective outcomes for children and young people. The notion of instructional leadership was also explored with a sense that leadership of learning and teaching is the core business of school leaders and starting point for improving outcomes for children and young people as well as a core focus for professional development efforts.
- Barber, M., Whelan, F. and Clarke, M. (2010) Capturing the Leadership Premium. New York: McKinsey & Co.
- Bennet, N. and Anderson, L. (2003) Rethinking Educational Leadership: Challenging the conventions. Berkshire: Open University Press.
- Bush, T. (2003) Theories of Educational Leadership and Management. London: Sage.
- Fullan, M. G. (1993) The complexity of the change process. In Change forces: Probing the depth of educational reform. 19–41. London: Falmer Press.
- Grant, C. (2006) ‘Teacher leadership: some South African voices’. Education management, Administration and Leadership, 34 (4). 511–532.
- Harris, A. and Muijs, D. (2003) Improving Schools Through Teacher Leadership. Berkshire: Open University Press.
- Höög, J., Johansson, O. and Olofsson, A. (2005) ‘Successful principalship: the Swedish case’, Journal of Educational Administration, 43(6). 595–606.
- Katzenmeyer, M. and Moller, G. (2001) Awakening the sleeping giant, helping teachers develop as leaders. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Lambert, L. (2003) Leadership capacity for lasting school improvement. Vancouver: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).
- Leithwood, K. A. and Riehl, C. (2003) What we know about successful school leadership. Philadelphia, PA: Laboratory for Student Success, Temple University.
- Lieberman, A. (2000) Networks as learning communities. Journal of Teacher Education, 51(3), 221.
- Marks, H. M. and Printy, S. M. (2003) Principal leadership and school performance: Integrating transformational and instructional leadership. Educational Administration Quarterly, 39(3). 370–397.
- Murphy, J. (2007) Teacher leadership: barriers and supports in T. Townsend (Ed), International Handbook of Teacher Effectiveness and Improvement. 681–706. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Robinson, V. M. J., Lloyd, C. A. and Rowe, K. J. (2008) The impact of leadership on school outcomes: An analysis of the differential effects of leadership types. Educational Administration Quarterly, 44(5). 635–674.
- Sebring, P. B. and Bryk, A. S. (2000) Principal leadership and the bottom line in Chicago. Phi Delta Kappa, 81(5).
- Sergiovanni, T.J. (1992) Moral Leadership: Getting to the heart of school improvement. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Stevenson, H. (2012) Teacher leadership as intellectual leadership: creating spaces for alternative voices in the English school system. Professional Development in Education, 38(2). 345–360.
- York-Barr, J. and Duke, K. (2004) What Do We Know About Teacher Leadership? Findings from two decades of scholarship. Review of Educational Leadership, 74(3). 255–316.